I think ethics is about the moral principles that we as a human being have on certain activities and that ethics can affect how people make decisions and lead their lives. Also that ethics shows what is good and bad for the society and an individual. Ethics is also known as moral philosophy.
Ethics covers the following dilemmas:
- how to live a good life
- our rights and responsibilities
- the language of right and wrong
- moral decisions – what is good and bad?
The way we get our ethics is delivered through and from religions, philosophies and cultures. Ethics can also cover some topics like abortion, lying, human rights, sport and many more.
Philosophers nowadays tend to divide ethical theories into three areas: metaethics, normative ethics and applied ethics.
- Meta-ethics deals with the nature of moral judgement. It looks at the origins and meaning of ethical principles.
- Normative ethics is concerned with the content of moral judgements and the criteria for what is right or wrong.
- Applied ethics looks at controversial topics like war, animal rights and capital punishment