Here are some facts about our environment that i did not know about:
- 27,000 trees are cut down each day so we can have Toilet Paper.
- Aluminum can be recycled continuously, as in forever. Recycling 1 aluminum can save enough energy to run our TVs for at least 3 hours. 80 trillion aluminum cans are used by humans every year.
- American companies alone use enough Paper to encircle the Earth 3x! (It’s a good thing that businesses are moving towards going paperless)
- We can save 75,000 trees if we recycled the paper used on the daily run of the New York Times alone.
- When you throw plastic bags and other plastic materials in the ocean, it kills as many as 1 million sea creatures annually.
- A glass bottle made in our time will take more than 4,000 years to decompose.
- Only 1% of our planet’s water supply can be used. 97% is ocean water and 2% is frozen solid in the Arctic, for now.
- Our planet gains inhabitants numbering to 77 million people a year.
- An estimated 50,000 species inhabiting our tropical forests become extinct annually. That’s an average of 137 species a day.
- Rainforests are cut down at a rate of 100 acres per minute.
- The world’s oldest trees are more than 4,600 years old.
- Landfills are composed of 35% packaging materials.
Just knowing about what our environment takes and give everyday to us is just pure unbelievable. So for my main idea i choose an environment that has been made by mankind and what we have so far as part of our environment. Little we know that our environment that we live in used to be nature but instead it was cut down in order for us to live here with shelter over our heads.
i find it devastating that we destroyed something that is full of beauty and life and converted into something that wasn’t our to begin with. We constructed and created buildings/houses in these natural locations full of wildlife instead of saving a beautiful scenery, animal’s lives and many more. The fact that people don’t care for the environment that we live in is just stupid but the thing is people are forgetting what the environment that we live in used to look like and therefore they don’t tend to care or notice what the damage we have caused to this planet.